Creamy Mushroom Soup
This autumn favorite recipe was submitted by George Hess of Palm Desert. Thanks, George!
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 tbs olive oil
– Salt and pepper
– 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
– 1 rib of celery, peeled and chopped
– 1 tbs minced garlic
– 1 lb cremini mushrooms
– 1 cup white wine
– 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
– 1 quart vegetable stock
– 3/4 cup heavy cream
– Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish
1. Heat a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped onion, carrot and celery and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the wine, making sure to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the fresh thyme and bring the contents to a gentle simmer. Cook until the mushrooms soften, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the vegetable stock and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and purée the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. Return the soup to low heat and stir in the cream. Season with a generous teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper, or to taste. This makes about 8 cups of soup. Garnish each portion with a thin shaving of the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Search the BLAWG
We are located throughout Southern California:
Main office is located in Beverly Hills:
9701 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1000
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
We have Satellite offices located in the following cities:
Palm Springs, Long Beach, Sherman Oaks and Burbank